618-622-3600 Toll-Free 800-624-4571 twyatt@kujawskiassociates.com

What is your legal recourse following a hit and run?

Apr 11, 2018 | Car Accidents, Car and Truck Accidents

Home » What is your legal recourse following a hit and run?

Personal Injury Law, O'Fallon, ILIf a driver runs into you and then speeds away without stopping to exchange insurance information, this is known as a hit and run accident. In most cases, the driver who speeds away is typically the at-fault party, and you could be entitled to compensation for any injury you incur. We’re hit and run accident lawyers in St Clair County, IL,  and we have some information you need to know.

The easiest way to seek restitution is by pursuing an uninsured motorist claim against the assailant through your own insurance company. If you own a vehicle and you have this type of insurance coverage—most people do, but many are unaware of it—then it can cover you in a hit and run accident, even if the accident didn’t involve your car (e.g., you were riding a bike or on foot).

If you’re the victim of a hit and run, there are a few steps you should follow immediately:

• Document the accident. Take any relevant pictures for evidence. Note down the date, time and location of the incident. If there were any witnesses, get their names and contact details.
• Report the accident to the police. It’s important to get a prompt report filed with the authorities.
• Get medical treatment. Make sure you get the necessary care to recover.
• Contact a personal injury attorney to discuss your rights.

If you own a motor vehicle, check your insurance policy to make sure you have uninsured motorist coverage. It’s an inexpensive form of coverage to keep, and it can protect you in the event of unforeseen tragedy both in and away from your car.

If you’re in a hit and run accident, consult with a personal injury attorney to learn whether you have a valid claim. You may be eligible for full and fair compensation under the law.

More Legal Articles